Keeping Up With The Preppers

Simple and easy to understand prepping ideas that just may save your life.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Camouflage Netting Made Easy

Camouflage Netting Made Easy






Everyone that has served in the military knows that camouflage netting is excellent for providing shade as well as concealment.  For those of you that have not served or have little or no experience with  camouflage netting, I've put together simple step by step instructions on how to complete the set up at your camp or bug out location.

Camouflage netting can be found on Amazon in different sizes and is relatively inexpensive, however, it is NOT the same quality as  camouflage netting used by the military.  My main reason for constructing camouflage netting for my camp site was to provide shade.

You can find military quality (used) camouflage netting, poles and spreaders here:




If your project requires a large net, but you can't find a net that is large enough, you will have to sew two or more nets together.  I never cared for the military sewing kits, so I used simple nylon paracord for my project.






CAMOUFLAGE NETTING PREPARATION







Lay out your camouflage netting close together in the pattern that you're looking to put together for your project.






Sew your netting together while keeping the slack even on both sides.  I tie knots every eight inches or so. Also, I use ten feet or less of paracord at a time so it's easier to pull through while tying your knots.





Once I've gone about half way from one side, I go to the other side so the edges of the two nets will be even. Any extra slack you can hide in the middle.






Once you have your nets sewed together, here's where you really need to picture how it will be applied to your project as you fold or roll it up.






Start on either side and roll that side to the middle of the netting.






Next, roll or fold the other side to meet, but do not overlap the first side you rolled.  






Roll up the netting half way or as far as you think you'll need it depending on your project.





For my project, I knew I would need one side to be smaller due to how I would have to install the netting.


CAMOUFLAGE NETTING INSTALLATION






Keeping in mind how you want the netting to be positioned once it's unrolled, place your prepped netting on top where it will unroll with little or no need for adjusting it once it's laid out.  It can be very difficult to make huge adjustments at that point due to the camouflage netting getting caught on everything and anything.




In the case of my project, I mostly wanted to provide shading for the porch / balcony area of my shelter and shade as much of the rest of the shelter with what netting was left.




Camouflage netting unrolled.




For my project, I was fortunate enough to mostly use the surrounding trees to secure the netting instead of having to use too many poles and spreaders.  It's best to have the netting completely off of your shelter or object you're covering and use poles and spreaders to break up the outline of what you're attempting to conceal.  





Shelter before camouflage netting.




Shelter after the camouflage netting applied.




Camouflage netting has many uses such as providing shade and concealment for vehicles, sitting areas, or campsites.  If you can imagine it, you can build it.  enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment